IELTS Speaking Part 2 - Exam Tips (1)

Speaking test part 1 lasts between four and five minutes. The examiner will introduce him/herself and asks you to introduce yourself and confirm your identity. The examiner will ask you some simple ‘getting-to-know-you’ questions on familiar topics, e.g. home, family, work, studies and interests. These questions will help the examiner find out a little bit about you and help put you at ease.

Look at these tips:


"Exam Tip: Explain your answers by giving reasons for what you say"
Example: I like my job because it’s varied and it gives me the opportunity to travel.

"Exam Tip: Ask for clarification if necessary"
Example: I’m sorry, could you repeat the question, please?

"Exam Tip: Develop your answers. Give full, relevant answers to the examiner’s questions. This will help get the interview off to a good start"
Example: 
Q: Where are you from? 

A: I’m from Buenos Aires. (Don’t stop there!) It’s the capital city of Argentina and is also the largest city in the country. It has a lot of history and is famous for having a rich culture. I really like living there.

"Exam Tip: Express your opinions; the examiner is assessing your ability to communicate"
Example:
Q: Do you prefer reading or watching TV? 

A: I prefer watching TV. When I come home from work I’m usually quite tired so I feel like relaxing. I find sitting with my family in the living-room watching TV is relaxing because we watch TV and chat together. For me, this is a great way to unwind.

Photo credit: www.engvid.com
"Exam Tip: Always expand your answers to simple, ‘yes’ or ‘no’ closed questions. (Questions beginning ‘Are you…’, ‘Do you …’, etc)"
Example:
Q: Do you like listening to music? 
A: Yes. I listen to music everyday on my way to work. I like lots of types of music but my favorite is rock music. I’m a big fan of U2. I really like Bono’s singing voice.

"Exam Tips:
Talk as fluently as possible and be spontaneous.
Speak more than the examiner.
Relax, be confident and enjoy using your English!"



Read the Speaking exam tips PART 2: Here

Source: Simon Carrie (Educator): Future Learn - Understanding IELTS