IELTS: Exam Stress

It has suddenly hit me that this year I will sit my last ever exams. I don’t know if that has helped with the stress, or just made it worse.

A little bit of stress can be a good thing as it motivates us to knuckle down and work hard. But exams can make stress levels get out of hand, which can stop us from performing our best. So it's important to address it and get it back under control.
Photo credit: www.edupln.ning.com

I have always struggled with the stress of exams, and the horrible nervousness that happens on the day itself. Even if I have revised as much as possible, my nerves still take over. And I know I’m not the only one. So I have made a list of a few of my personal tips for dealing with exam stress.

1. Learn to recognize when you're stressing out. A break or a chat with someone who knows the pressure you're under will get things into perspective.

2. Exercise. Nothing de-stresses the mind faster than physical activity, so build it into your timetable. I love running. I find that it makes a perfect revision break, because you can focus on something else for an hour or so, you can listen to some great music, or even socialize, if you prefer exercising with someone else. You get to spend time outside in the fresh air, which helps your brain recover from all those hours of studying. Plus it’s good for you, which is always a bonus!

3. Socialize. I find that it’s really easy to shut yourself away for hours on end, going over your notes by yourself and not see anyone all day. That’s fine for a short amount of time, especially if that’s how you revise best, but I think it’s equally as important to make sure you spend time with other people too, whether you revise together or simply meet up for a chat.

4. Sleep well. Wind down before bed and don't revise under the duvet - your bed is a sanctuary, not a desk. Get your eight hours.

5. Sharing is caring. Sometimes it helps to get together with other people taking the same exams as you to share ideas and talk things over, especially if there is a certain aspect you are struggling with. You can make sure that you understand everything properly, as well as picking up new ideas that maybe you hadn’t thought of before. And it means you get to spend extra time with your friends, too!

5. DON'T PANIC! Panic is often triggered by hyperventilating (quick, shallow breaths). So if you feel yourself losing it during the exam, sit back for a moment and control your breathing. Deep breath in and out through the nose, counting to five each way.


Everyone has their own ways of coping with exam time, or maybe you don’t suffer from stress (in which case I am very jealous!). I’ll definitely be sticking to the tips above this year, and perhaps you could share your advice with us all too. If any of you are sitting exams this year, I wish you the best of luck!